Fire Prevention: There's little better than snuggling up in front of a roaring fire. However, a lack of chimney maintenance can result in injury and even death. To prevent such a tragedy, regular professional Newtownabbey chimney sweeping is essential. The main benefit of a chimney sweep is the removal of flammable creosote build-up. You may be at risk of a chimney fire if:
• Creosote build-up appears puffy with varicoloured streaks
• Metal anywhere in the chimney vicinity is warped
• Flues have collapsed or cracked
• The rainhat is distorted or showing signs of discolouration
• Flakes of creosote appear on the ground or roof around the chimney
• Roofing material shows heat damage
• Masonry cracks appear
• Smoke escapes where it shouldn't
What is Creosote? Creosote is a highly combustible wood byproduct released during combustion. Creosote appears black or brown and may be thick like tar, sticky, shiny, flaky or hardened. Creosote build-up is the main culprit in chimney fires and is the main reason you should consider a professional and regular chimney sweep. There are some ways you can help prevent creosote build-up and thus reduce the risk of fires:
• Have your chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year
• Use only dry, seasoned wood
• Never burn rubbish, cardboard or other items in the fireplace as sparks may result in fires
• Build smaller, hotter fires which produce less smoke
Finding a contractor for your home improvement project has never been easier, thanks to the biggest UK network of fully vetted tradesmen. Get up to four quotes from our home improvement experts absolutely free of charge.
Trouble-free savings in seconds
Prevent Gas Poisoning:
Newtownabbey chimney sweeping not only helps prevent fires but also carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning is often a result of poor ventilation as well as blocked or leaking flues and chimneys. Birds and other animals often nest in chimneys, which can impede proper ventilation. A blocked or damaged flue may also cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in severe headaches, dizziness, nausea and even death.
The Costs Involved: A professional chimney sweeping Newtownabbey service doesn't have to cost you a fortune. Depending on the size and design of your chimney, as well as the number of chimneys requiring cleaning, the price of chimney sweeping can range from as little as '30 to over '100. The extent of the damage and labour required to get your chimney back into perfect working order may also affect the cost.
The Dangers of DIY: Attempting a DIY chimney sweep is extremely dangerous and isn't worth the few pennies that might be saved. Professional chimney sweeps are equipped with all the necessary safety gear. Chimney sweeps not only work at dangerous elevations and odd angles but also deal with hazardous substances which require specific knowledge to safely remove. Removing unwanted birds and animals from your chimney can also be dangerous if you're ill-equipped to handle the creatures.
Why risk the chance of a household fire or carbon monoxide poisoning? Take a minute to fill in our online form describing the problem with your chimney and we'll take it from there, finding you the best chimney sweep Newtownabbey services to suit your budget. Get a free, no-obligation quote from us today and start enjoy those cosy evenings snuggled up in front of the fireplace without the additional health and safety risks.
Your Newtownabbey chimney sweep questions answered
- How often should my chimney be inspected? At least annually in order to detect faults and prevent buildup that could lead to fires.
- My chimney sweep recommended using an acid to clean my chimney? A special acid may be needed if the creosote buildup is especially thick or hardened. This is often the case whenever the chimney has not been cleaned in quite some time.
- Why do I need to hire a chimney sweep? When you use your fireplace, it accumulates soot, ash, and other particulates that can clog your chimney. If the clog becomes too large, it can force smoke into your home or cause chimney fires. Animals also like to nest in chimneys, especially during winter months.
- Can chimney sweeping be a do-it-yourself job? Yes. There are multiple ways to clean your chimney, and each requires some specialised tools. It's not as easy as Dick van Dyke portrayed in Mary Poppins. It will require a bit of effort and if done wrong, can cause an enormous mess in your home.
Our Chimney Sweeping Quote Form
Our simple quote form is all you need to complete in order to receive free no-obligation chimney sweeping quotes. It only takes a minute.
Your Free Sweeping Quotes
Up to four local, fully-approved Newtownabbey chimney sweeps are given the opportunity to quote for your work direct.